Natural Ammonia Free Window Cleaner. I started with just vinegar and water, but found it needed some additional oomph. That mixture left my husbands car windows streaky, not good when you are driving. So I started doing some research and found that I could add some lemon juice to window cleaner mixtures and that would possibly fix the problem.
I ended up taking several factors into consideration.
1. I found that I distilled water works better because it has fewer minerals to leave a film.
2. I did add the lemon juice to my window cleaner, which works great, and it smells good.
3. I have known for a very long time that newspaper works better to clean the windows then paper towels. I don't know why this is, but it does work. (I had a window business a long time ago )
4. Do not wash the windows in direct sunlight it will cause the cleaner to dry to quickly and streak.
5. I read at http://www.tipnut.com/ to wash one side of your window wiping up and down, and wash the other side of the window side to side will help reduce streaking. It really works.
So now that I have given lots of information, here is the recipe.
Natural Ammonia Free Window Cleaner
1/2 cup vinegar
3 1/2 cups water
3 TB lemon juice
Mix all ingredients together in a spray bottle, and clean away.
Makes 4 cups window cleaner
Let me know what you think of this recipe, and what you use in your window cleaner. I love hearing from you.