Tuesday, October 2, 2012
Burlap and Lace Breadstick Holders
I made the cutest Burlap Bread Stick Holders last weekend and they were really simple to make. I saw a Burlap Silverware Caddy on Cupcakes and Crinoline and I thought it was adorable. I knew I wanted to make something like it. What cinched the deal was when I saw a tutorial on Cutting Burlap Without the Mess on What Meegan Makes.
I had saved the large cans from the crushed tomatoes that I used for my Bolognese Sauce for this project. I thought these would make the cutest bread stick holders, and I was correct.
Meegan from What Meegan Makes posted a tutorial last week on cutting burlap, and it worked like a charm. This is how you do it
1. Measure where you want to cut your burlap.
2. Next go to the space next to where you want to cut and start pulling on the thread. You want to do this slowly, so that you don't break the thread.
3. Once you have pulled the thread out, you will have a space that you can cut a straight line and you wont have a huge mess.
4. Cut the burlap.
5. I did this both width wise and length wise and got beautiful squares of burlap to use for my Burlap and Lace Bread Stick Holders.
5. Next I just put the burlap inside the can, and gathered it around the outside of the can.
6. I cut a piece of lace trim to tie in a bow around the outside of the can.
7. I put in the bread sticks and was good to go.
Isn't this a really fun and easy project for serving bread sticks or anything else that stands up straight for a party. It only took about 15 minutes, and I have these really cute little serving pieces. I always love hearing from you. Let me know what you think.